While watching the video below try to understand:
1. the name of the poet who first introduced the sonnet to England
2. how many sonnets William Shakespeare wrote
3. the name of the poet who wrote Astrophel and Stella
4. read the poem " Loving in trueth..." and consider the language. Is it different
from today's English? Write down as many examples as you can
5. what is the poem about?
6. were Shakespeare's sonnets written in 1609?
7. is their content original or similar to what had been witten before?
8. what themes can be found in the sonnets?
9. what person did Shakespeare introduce in his sonnets?
10. how is the woman known and what is she like?
11. what is Shakespeare doing in the sonnet "My Mistress's Eyes"?
12. who, in Shakespeare's sonnets, represents ideal beauty?
13. who is sonnet 18 dedicated to?
14. consider sonnet 18. What/who do you think "the eye of heaven" stands for?
15. is the person described in the sonnet as beautiful as a summer day?